Hardware Agencies was established in 1951 by Harry Halberstadt. The business started as a small storefront operation selling hardware and locksmith supplies at Wellington Street and York Street in Toronto, Ontario Canada. At the time, all sales and services were taken care of by both Harry and his wife, Molly.
Halberstadt’s patience and commitment to his customer and their needs gained him recognition as a pioneer in the locksmith distribution industry. With steady growth, Halberstadt was able to move Hardware Agencies to a larger facility in 1956.
During the mid-1950’s, Halberstadt’s son Paul joined the Hardware Agencies. Paul saw further business opportunities with the organization and in 1970, he took the initiative to expand the company’s distribution span by opening a sister company in Montreal called Serrubec. Serrubec’s directive was to service and support the Quebec and Maritime markets, while Hardware Agencies was to remain focused on growth and service within Ontario.